The 1953 Maserati A6GCS/53 Berlinetta, styled by Pininfarina, was really an apple of every car lovers when brought to the public view. This was the car that not only grabbed the instant attention of the people around, but it also left all and sundry around it with its beautifully-designed body.
The racing pedigree of the car was just outdone by its flowing lines and taught proportions. The car has under its skin a race-bred chassis, which was built by Gilco, especially for the events like the prestigious Mille Miglia.
The derivative of A6 Sportscar was its A6GCS chassis. The car would get its power from a short-stroke, double ignition, inline-6, which, unfortunately, was one of the last units Maserati brothers were able to design before their departure from this world. The A6, which was initially built for the Forumla 2, was able to freely rev up to 7300rpm and could only produce 170bhp.
However, Maserati, due to being stuck in a contract with Ferrari, could not directly sell the Pinin Farina Berlinetta. So, Rome dealer Giuglielmo Dei had to acquire 6 bare chassis and got an agreement signed, under which the latter will commission Pininfarina with a view to completing four cars – undoubtedly Enzo Ferrari would have protested against this move of both.
Maserati showcased one of its car on the Pinin Farina stand at the 1952 Turin Motor Show, while another sister car the company showed at the Paris Motor Show.
Though the A6GCS Coupe in motor sports didn’t achieve much, their beautiful styling left all the car freaks of the time fully exciting and awestruck. Chassis 2059 was sold for $3.7 million USD in 1996.
However, out of the four chassis, merely two, named 2056 & 2059 were quite original, whereas 2057 & 2060 were changed into spyders. The unused or remaining bodies were put on two more cars, thus total six original Pinin Farina Coupes had their existence at that time, but their timing differed from each other.
Now, let’s talk about 1953 Maserati A6GCS/53 Berlinetta, chassis by chassis
2056 – This chassis was seen at the Maserati Museum and the Maserati Exhibition in 1998. It was crashed by Garvina during the Giro di Sicilia in 1954. Though the factory had abandoned the car, later Carrozzeria Campana restored it in 1991.
2057 – This chassis was shown as a blue two-tone coupe at the Turin Motor Show. It had split front windshield, a low cut roof and a rounder tail sans fins. Pietro Palmieri had to rebody it into a spyder (by Fiandri?) and even most probably renumbered it as 2086 when he discovered too much noise and heat while racing at the 1954 Mille Miglia.
2059 – This chassis, with central stripe, had painted Paris Show in 1954 in red, but was later bought by Count Alberto Magi Diligenti of Florence in 1955. It was the U.S. –based Stan Novak who later discovered it and sold at Brooks Auction for 3.2 Million USD.
2060 – This chassis was given shape in 1954, but its original body was given a new body makeover for a more sporting spyder. Recently Count Hubertus von Doenhoff commissioned the UK-based Church Green Engineering to come up with a complete replica 2060.
2089 – After having obtained an original body from Scuderia Centro Sud, 2089 was featured in Road & Track and set up for road use only.